Ta da!: the finished saddle!
Here's the saddle in progress, a mess of needles, holding yarn, and working yarn. The saddle is in the forefront, and in each pass across I would knit the last saddle stitch together with one or two body stitches. (In actuality, I did an SSK and a P2Tog as appropriate.) The stitch-to-row ratio in Aran patterns is, frankly, all screwed up. I just stopped and took a close look at how the saddle and the body were meeting up and made adjustments when it seemed right (for example, where a cable crossed and the body stitches were jammed together I would pick up two stitches rather than one from the body).
Here's the finished saddle up close. Things are a bit distorted by the uncut steek, but I think you get the idea. I smoothed the corner a bit where the saddle turns by eating up a few body stitches, an idea that I got from Meg Swansen.
When I reached what I hope is the edge of the neck I started a partial saddle at the back, curving into approximately 25% saddle width. As you can see, I worked from sleeve inward--the two parts met at the center back, where I grafted them. This should leave enough room for a 1" band, which will run up the center, around the neck, and down again.
I cut open the steek after taking these pictures. I couldn't resist: I did indeed try the thing on. It's so disappointing to try on texture patterns before they are blocked--they just don't hang quite right. I KNOW this, so I'm not TOO discouraged. I do like how the shoulders fit, though! I'm looking forward to doing more exploration of this shaping method.
But I'm now in California for a week--Twizzle was too big to cart around on this trip, so I've picked up Sashiko. My goal this week, which promises to be nice and rainy and perfect for knitting, is to finish both sleeves and start the yoke shaping.
Shadow stayed behind in Seattle, where a 9-year-old boy is showing him the time of his life. Because I miss him, though, here's a photo of him doing a sheep imitation: