1. Go to your local hardware store and find the plumbing section.
2. Buy 4 1/2-inch diameter tubes that are threaded at both ends, about 5 inches long (the dark gray pieces in the picture); 8 corner connectors that have one threaded slot on the top and two smooth slots to fit 1/2-inch pipe--I don't have a clue what these are called; and enough 1/2-inch pvc pipe (if you are smart, that is, not like me, you will have measured your table before you head off to the store so that you are not just guessing at this number).
3. Cut the pvc pipe to fit your table: you'll need 4 long pieces and 4 shorter pieces (my playpen is 57 inches long by 30 inches wide). A hacksaw works really well for this and it's quite easy to do.
4. Make fabric bumpers to keep the yarn corralled (you can use masking tape for a temporary fix, but the sewn bumpers are a nice Martha-ish touch):
Cut a rectangle that is 1 inch longer than the length of the side (not counting the connectors) and wide enough to make encircle the top and bottom pipes plus 1 inch.
Sew 1/2 inch hems at each short end.
With right sides together, sew up the long side to create a tube.
Make ties by cutting long 1-inch wide strips. Fold each side to meet in the center; fold in half again and sew. Cut into ties.
Sew the ties to the center of each fabric tube.
5. Slide the pcv pipe into the bumpers and fit the corner pieces together. Tie a jaunty bow or a utilitarian knot, your choice.
6. Fill with yarn! Tell the family you'll be eating in the living room from now on....
Open House Cancelled
I'm sorry to say that I am catching Gingko's nasty cold and will have to cancel the open house scheduled for Thursday, July 22nd. I've got to keep my voice for the upcoming 3-day workshop!